Heard of the term capacity folder and non capacity folder but unsure what it means? Here we explain the definitions, the pros and the cons of each.
What is a Capacity Folder?
A printed folder with a pocket which has a gusset of varying depth providing a greater volume of documents to be inserted into the pocket. The greater volume of documentation the wider the gusset. Usually from 5mm to 10mm.
Pros and Cons of a capacity folder.
- Pocket allows for a larger volume of documentation to be inserted. Depending on the paper or card weight can be between 20 to 50 sheets.
- Marginally more expensive because of the additional time care and attention to make up the capacity pocket folder.
- If they are shipped by post the capacity can crush if the capacity hasn’t been completely filled with documentation.
- They are more bulky to ship and store due to the capacity void.
What is a Non Capacity Folder?
A printed folder with a pocket but without a gusset, so allows for a limited number documents to be inserted.
Pros and Cons of a Non Capacity Folder.
- Pocket provides space for a limited number of insertions. Depending on the paper weight usually up to about 10-15 sheets.
- Cost effective and quick to glue and make up.
- Because the non capacity folder is flat they are robust when posting or sending by courier.
- More can fit tightly in the carton boxes so are ideal for storage.
Top tips to consider for non and capacity folder printing.
It is always a good idea to talk to your printer before you start to design your artwork.
A good printer will also be able to advise you on the most cost effective way to produce your folders. See the benefits of presentation folders here.
The folders will need to be cut out after printing, so a cutter guide is required, which must be included within your indesign file.
The cutter guide will be used to produce the block to die cut the folders during finishing. It will also help you to design your artwork within the guidelines require. We discuss cutter guides here.
Consider adding bleed to your artwork if you have solid colours or images right up to the edge. Our article explains more about bleed here.
Capacity Folders can come in all range of shapes and sizes to suit the needs of the end user. The folder must be to be slightly bigger than the overall size of the sheet to be inserted.
Print Worx provides graphic design services and printing of folders, get in touch to discuss your requirements, we would be happy to help.